Friday 6 March 2015

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Before you read any further, please note that this review may contain spoilers. 



I had high hopes for this book.  All the hype of it being a must read classic.  And yet, I was bitterly disappointed.  I had put off reading this book for years, knowing the level of violence involved, to the point that I was almost fearful to read it, (You'll see it was the book I was scared to read on my Pop Sugar Reading Challenge post)  and yet, I just felt a resounding 'meh'.

The story is about fifteen year old Alex and his 'Droogs'.  After a series of 'ultra-violence', rape and theft and murder sprees, Alex's Droogs turn on him and allow him to be caught by the 'Millicents', namely the police. 

Alex spends around 2 years inside an over crowded adult prison, for the most part behaving himself.  Assisting the prison 'Charlie' by playing music during his his sermons, Alex speaks to the chaplain about wanting to try out this new treatment he's heard about, and wants the chaplain to put in a good word for him, something the chaplain is reluctant to do.  Alex gets his wish when yet another criminal is thrown into Alex's already overcrowded cell. 


Fast forward two weeks and Alex is a changed man, released into the fresh air and freedom of the world once more.  This new found freedom is not all it's cracked up to be, no longer can he enjoy the things he once loved...

Firstly, the slang was over the top, and in parts childish it took me quite a while to get used to.  Was the slang a tool used to lessen the blow of the crimes that were committed?  Would this book have been so popular had it been written in plain English?  I'm not sure that it would have been. 

I don't feel there was any sort of remorse, on Alex's part, for the crimes he committed. He blamed everyone else around him for his behaviour and his capture, but didn't stop to think about why he wanted to do those things, or why his 'droogs' would turn on him in such a way. Narcissist? in my experience most likely.


This book does raise a lot of moral questions. Ultimately I don't think Alex himself had any morals.  Not once did he express sincere regret for his crimes, nor any empathy for his victims.  Alex always seemed to be blaming everyone else for the predicaments he found himself in, whether it was his droogs, cell mates or parents etc. 

I may have enjoyed it more had the ending been more about personal growth and reformation, than just 'he grew up'. That was quite the let down.

While I'm glad to cross this one off my to read list, it wont be one I'm likely to revisit.


2/5 stars.







No comments:

Post a Comment